Award in Swimming Teaching
The STA Award in Swimming Teaching aims to produce teachers that can teach up to 10 beginners and deliver the STAnley Series of awards, as well as the Octopus and Goldfish Series of STA’s International Learn to Swim Programme.
They may also act as an assistant swimming teacher and can teach larger classes or advanced skills under the direct supervision of a swimming teacher qualified to certificate level.
Who is it for?
The Award in Swimming Teaching is an excellent qualification for those teaching small groups in a commercial swim school environment.
Regulated by Ofqual in the UK
Qualification Number: 600/2481/1
Title: STA Level 2 Award in Swimming Teaching (QCF)
Credit Value: 7 Credits
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Hold current membership of STA
- Hold the Safety Award for Teachers or acceptable equivalent
- Hold the STA Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults certificate or acceptable equivalent
Validity of Award
This qualification does not expire.
To remain as a VSLC approved swimming teacher holders of this qualification are required to:
- Remain in membership of VSLC
- Keep their knowledge and skills up-to-date with regular CPDs
- Keep their pre-requisite lifesaving qualification in-date
- Regularly update their DBS check
Length of Course
4 to 5 days depending on numbers plus an extra day for the prerequisite lifesaving qualification
49 Notional Guided Learning Hours:
- 28 Recommended Guided Learning Hours
- 21 Non-Contact Guided Learning Hours
- Understanding the Elementary Scientific Principles Relevant to Swimming
- Planning, Preparing and Teaching Swimming
- Understanding the Principles of Safe and Equitable Coaching Practice
- Complete a portfolio and worksheet questions to the satisfaction of the course tutor
- Undertake poolside teaching during the course
- As part of an external assessment, teach a 30 minute lesson to 4 learners
- Complete a 30 question multiple-choice paper with a unit pass mark of 7/10 per unit
To learn more about the course and booking options, please get in touch to discuss your requirements and we will get back to you as soon as possible.