Pool Lifeguard Qualification
The Pool Lifeguard qualification is designed to train lifeguards in pool rescue, CPR techniques, first aid and dealing with poolside emergencies in accordance with the UK National Occupational Standards and sections 140 – 185 of Managing Health and Safety in Swimming Pools and British Standard BS EN 15288 Part 2, Safety Requirements for Operations.
Who is it for?
The Pool Lifeguard Qualification is a professional qualification for professional lifeguards. The course covers all the key skills needed to perform the role of a pool lifeguard.
If you are required to respond to pool emergencies but not actively lifeguard, you may also want to look at our pool responder award.
Regulated by Ofqual in the UK
Qualification Number: 600/2965/1
Title: STA Level 2 Award for Pool Lifeguard (QCF)
Credit Value: 5 Credits
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Be able to swim 100 metres on the front and 100 metres on the back without stopping
- Be able to swim 50 metres in under 1 minute
- Be able to surface dive and recover an object from the deepest part of the pool
Validity of Award
This qualification is valid for 2 years.
Length of Course
5 to 6 days depending on course numbers.
This qualification covers:
- Knowing how to prepare and maintain a healthy and safe pool environment
- Knowing how to carry out pool emergency procedures and basic rescue skills
- Knowing how to observe activities carefully and continuously while supervising the pool
- Knowing how to give customers information and help
- Understanding the need to educate customers on how to use the pool safely
- Knowing how to identify and deal with any potential hazards promptly and safely while the pool is in use
- Giving information and help with effective communication with customers and colleagues
- Understanding the Pool Safety Operating Procedures
- Understanding the roles and responsibilities of a pool responder and first aider
- Understanding basic first aid procedures for injuries sustained in an aquatic environment
- Knowing how to respond to a pool emergency situation and administer basic life support
- Understanding the differences when dealing with various kinds of casualties
- Being able to respond to simulated pool emergencies
- Understanding the important of recording, reporting and analysing pool emergency and first aid situations
- Understand How to Prepare and Maintain a Healthy and Safe Pool Environment
- Understand How to Supervise Pool Activities
- Carry Out Pool Lifeguard Emergency and First Aid Procedures
This qualification can be registered with the following additional units:
- CPR and AED
- CPR and Anaphylaxis
- Complete a portfolio and worksheet questions to the satisfaction of the course tutor
- Demonstrate the ability to carry out rescue activities in a safe, effective and prompt manner
- Demonstrate CPR on a sudden collapse, cardiac, baby or child casualty in a safe, prompt and effective manner
- Demonstrate the management of an unconscious casualty, including primary survey and recovery position, in a safe, prompt and effective manner
- Complete a 30 question multiple-choice paper with a unit pass mark of 22/30
To learn more about the course and booking options, please get in touch to discuss your requirements and we will get back to you as soon as possible.